Week 2 Reading Overview

 

                                                                Page from a Dispersed Ramayana: Picryl


After looking over the reading options for the Ramayana, I decided to go with the Narayan version. I chose this version mainly because I wanted to get the traditional story. I also already own the book, so why not use that version! However,  I do plan on utilizing other sources, such as the Tiny Tales, so that I can get multiple viewpoints on the stories.


            Hanuman: MantraMaya

I chose this comic story because I admired the title being about devotion and courage. When reading the overview of the story, I could see how devotion and courage were important to the plot. I also loved how the story began playfully, as Hanuman would try to grab the sun thinking it was a fruit. This reminded me of one of the storybooks that I read which related this story a food storybook.
The story: Hanuman

                                                                Kumbhakarna: Wikimedia Commons

I was immediately drawn to this story because it referenced Kumbhakarna as being a sleeping giant! Kumbhakarna was so big and strong that he defeated the god Indra in battle. He then makes a wish to Lord Brahma that is misheard, which resulted in him sleeping for long periods of time. 
The story: Kumbhakarna

I chose to watch this video as I find cultural symbols to be fascinating. I also think it is amazing how different cultures put so much thought and symbolism into these different objects, such as the lotus. Symbols are sometimes also one of the only things we can find when viewing old historic objects, so finding meaning and understanding in these symbols is crucial.

I chose to watch this video because I have always found Atlantis to be really intriguing. I was surprised after watching this video because I never knew that there were Indian stories that were thought to have been originated from Atlantis. I also thought it was really interesting that there are mentions that aliens might have been real based off of these stories! Basically this video asked the question of how was technology in ancient times, such as the mythical Atlantis. Then, the video compared references from mythology to try and answer this question. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Ashley!

Week 7 Story: The Game of Dice