Growth Mindset Thoughts

Growth Mindset


                                                                Growth Mindset Statements: KidsnClicks

 I had never heard of the Growth Mindset before, but as my father and mother-in-law are both teachers, I find it to be an important and interesting topic.

I have to be honest, growing up in school I was always told I was "gifted" as I never struggled with school or extracurricular activities. After watching the videos, I wish I had been more challenged and pushed. While I have been successful in college, maintaining my 4.0 GPA and pursuing medical school, I find myself bored and wanting to find more challenges. I also find that I get easily frustrated when I do not understand a topic right away.  Perhaps if I had been taught the "power of yet" I would have learned to turn my frustration into perseverance.

At OU, I have been more challenged. As I love to be challenged, most semesters I have taken 18 - 19 hours. I also enjoy extracurricular activities, such as being a member of the Pride, Wind Symphony, a volunteer at OU Children's, and shadowing a cardiologist. I also joined a lab when I was a sophomore and have continued to a member of it, which is why I am able to conduct the research I am doing now for my Honor's thesis. I believe the biggest challenge I face is that I spread myself too thin. I give myself so many responsibilities to keep busy that I never spend much time on one thing. I hope that the growth mindset will help me this semester as I conduct research and prepare for the MCAT.

I believe learning about the growth mindset will be a fascinating topic. I think that I could learn from it and apply it to my life as well as my future children. I hope that future educators could learn from the growth mindset and apply it to their teaching style. As Oklahoma is one of the worst states for public education, perhaps the growth mindset could be the key to reviving the public school system as well as shaping the work ethic of future workers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Ashley!

Week 7 Story: The Game of Dice